Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sick Hen (stool pictures attached) - advice please

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:49 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

If you’re dripping the water in or on her beak, not squirting, it’s unlikrky that it would’ve gone into her lungs.

It does sound like she’s struggling now, poor girl, even though she rallied there for a bit. I hope she picks up again. I would just keep doing what you’re doing.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:54 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hello

Myrtle ate almost half an egg that we cooked and cut up for her. She also ate a few pieces of grape - she appeared to be hungry. But, she would become listless in-between eating. This was last night. I checked for water in her lungs but am certain there was none (I used a stethoscope). As it was cold, we kept her inside the house.

Myrtle was in very poor shape this morning. Her eyes were closed and her breathing shallow. She was also quite cold to touch. She made a few sounds as we spoke softly to her. It was plainly obvious that she was not going to make it. Rather than take her to the vet, which would have been traumatic for her, we decided to make her comfortable and, around 0915 she died.

I am unsure why she died. It may have been an infection or it may have been organ shutdown.

I believe her age was between 7-11 years, but this is a guesstimate as we rescued the flock from uninterested people in early 2012.

It has been a sad day - a very sad day. We will bury her beneath a mulberry tree that we intend to plant this weekend.

Thank you to those who replied to my questions and made suggestions. Regards, Chicken-Gal

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:06 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I’m really sorry to hear that about Myrtle. She was an old lady.... I did not think it was something she’d recover from and I don’t think there’s anything you could have done differently. You cared for her very well and made her last days as comfortable as possible.

Planting a mulberry tree for her is a lovely thing to do.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:38 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

70%cocoa wrote:
I’m really sorry to hear that about Myrtle. She was an old lady.... I did not think it was something she’d recover from and I don’t think there’s anything you could have done differently. You cared for her very well and made her last days as comfortable as possible.

Planting a mulberry tree for her is a lovely thing to do.

Thanks Rach for your kind words.

The flock has slowly died off over the last 2 years and now there is only one remaining chicken... I will get more when they are available.

Should I show the deceased Myrtle to the other chicken (Fleck). She definitely knew she was sick. I have noticed she keeps looking for her.

Your opinion ?

Thanks, Chicken-Gal

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:37 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I don’t think it’d hurt to show Myrtle to your other chicken. Maybe put Myrtle in a cat carrier or similar, just in case the other chicken is very curious and pecks at Myrtle.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:08 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks Rach, Chicken-Gal