Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Cleaning the coop

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning the coop
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:21 pm 

How does everyone clean / disinfect their chook houses?
My chook house has a sand/dirt floor and its time for a good disinfect and clean, What chemicals or natural products work best.?
Any advice appreciated.
Cheers
Scott :-)

Post subject: Re: Cleaning the coop
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:50 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Disinfection is not necessary unless you've had something which has required a complete cull and restock - Chooks don't need to live in a bubble and disinfecting kills good bacteria as well as bad.
Clean out any manure build up. Pressure wash the walls, nests and roosts if needed and if you have mites add some pyrethrum to the last wash.
I prefer not to 'bug kill' if possible - my healthy spider population seems to keep the nasties away.
Remove the old sand/dirt if necessary - or lime it and top up with more sand.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:47 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

i agree with Sue.

I just clean out the floor area and add new sand or litter and a bit of dusty cobweb removal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:07 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I also agree and I don't use disinfectant either unless someone was sick, or if different birds are going into that particular coop. The coop floors where ours sleep are concrete. These get cleaned weekly- remove old litter, spread ag lime and add fresh litter. Because those are concrete, the "deep litter system" thing does not really work, so I have to change the litter. :doh (This gets composted.) Thickness of litter in consequence is only about 1 cm and it's purpose is really only to absorb poop and make it easier to clean it off the floor.

The enclosed scratching yards are dirt, which just get raked out. Sometimes new mulch gets put in. Their "Outside yard" is divided off to let grass grow in sections. The section being left needs to have leaves removed before being seeded........ If you have a reasonable system going, it does not take long at all. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Scott,
I have two areas in sheds with cement inside and dirt outside (both have rood over them. Every day I scrape and sweep off the cement and put it into a used chicken bag. I don't have a feeder in there so I know it will not have grain in it so I keep it to later go onto a garden or under fruit trees. That manure went around and under the Mango tree last year and it was out best crop yet. Once a week I rake over the dirt areas and collect that chicken manure and feathers and thrown it out on to the grass as it highly likely will have feed. I lime it about 4 times a year but never disinfect as it is not necessary. I like to lime because they dirt bath in their as well so good for lice and mites.

Lana