Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Incubating duck eggs dont know how many days in

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:11 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have successfully incubated several duck eggs this year and last year. I know I need to move them off the turner at day 25.
I have a floating nest box in the middle of my pond. One of the wild mallards was sitting on a clutch. Some of my domestics would lay eggs on the nest from time to time and she would just sit on them too. One day a black snake found them so I had to pull the nest to the shore and rescue the rest of the eggs. I put them in the incubator but I don't know how many day in on the incubation they are. I'm getting close to day 25 I know on some of them. I have a second incubator without the turner I can move them to. I have candled them but I don't know how to tell if I'm on day 25 or not.

Sorry for the long post but I had a lot to explain.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:30 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I would stop turning them. At this stage they will be fine without turning, even if they’re not yet at 25 days. The ducklings will have a very well developed system of veins and will also be able to move about in the egg - those things together mean they will have access to nutrients right across the interior of the egg and you don’t need to turn to bring them into contact with new areas or to prevent adhesion to the egg. Turning is most critical in the early stages.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:05 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

THanks . I will stop today.