Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How to pack and send fertile eggs in post?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:58 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi all,

This may have been covered previously but I could not find any information in the forum.

Can anyone please advise on packing and sending fertile eggs in post?

Thanks.

Regards,
JP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:37 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Use the search button and do a few searches, use words like packing, posting, mailing eggs etc. There have been many posts. This one is typical, and if you find some of the 2011 Chooky in Oz posts there is some good legal advice re Australia Post regulations as well as more packing advice.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7965028&p=700595&hilit=method+posting+eggs#p700595

I stopped posting eggs for a while - hatching rates were good, usually around 80 percent - but expectations are often unrealistic. If eggs are priced at the cost of one pure-bred point of lay pullet in that breed, it's about right. So for run of the mill Araucana or Silkie, around $35 plus postage. For eggs from show pen or rarer birds that would cost over $100 as a pol pullet, eggs would be $100 dozen, and still the expectation against cost should be to raise one or two pullets from the dozen eggs. Any more is a bonus, 8 or 10 healthy chicks with half being female is a gift.

Packing information is plentiful, but so is uninformed whinging from buyers who haven't thought it all through.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:05 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Good advice from PC. Proceed with caution, make sure the buyer has realistic expectations, be aware they will forget anything you tell them if their hatch is not good.
I don't post, but any eggs that I sell, have in the box a note that - eggs from this group have proven fertility, some basic reminders to check/calibrate their incubator and a link to the BYP incubation face book group for advice and assistance. That way you are >less likely< to find your self on a name and shame page.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:18 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

An interesting topic, I wish I knew!

One of the problems I read about here seems to be that interstate post is by airmail, and that the rapid change in air pressure bursts the air bubble in the egg. Some people say they can hatch these eggs anyway, but some say they cannot.

It seems that some breeders are more comfortable and successful with sending eggs by road.

Having said that, I had a request for eggs from SA (I'm VIC) and refused because of that. The breeder told me he was happy to take the risk (having been successful before), and he had a fair success with the hatching.

I pack in egg cartons with air spaces all filled with these soft packing beads used in potting mix. Then I put a strong carton box around the egg carton and again fill all the spaces with packing beads. So the eggs don't rattle around. Sent by Australia Post, Express.
I have often wondered if packing in a air-tight, rigid container would help?

My last egg-buyers (having been successful with mailed eggs) preferred to pick up eggs personally and drive them home. I hope this is a reflection on Australia Post rather than on my packing methods.

Hope this helps :-)
Suanne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:08 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thank you all for the advice!! Much appreciated!!

Regards,
JP