Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Best cheap incubator

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best cheap incubator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:38 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi just wondering what people's experience are with cheap non branded incubators off ebay or gum tree? I know you can't compare them with the branded ones but alot of the time the cheaper one is what some of us can afford.

For those who have experienced with cheaper incubator with good success, can you please let us know what one is it and share your experience.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Best cheap incubator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:17 pm 

Double post pls delete

Last edited by Bryce on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:21 pm 

I'm keen to hear also. I'm using a Janoel8-48 which I got second-hand in which the eggs are going well. Day 14 and all growing well apart from 1 unfertilized. Once I calibrated the temp it has been set and forget. The egg tilter hasn't been working so I have been doing it by hand. That led to buying a replacement as we didn't want something more critical to fail. We bought one of these on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/56-Egg-Incu ... 23901c55be
and will be putting eggs into it in a couple of days. Has anyone had experience with one of these? It seems to hold temp well and generate good humidity from less water surface area than the Janoel. Vids on Youtube show people having good success with them. If they don't have any serious flaws then they seem like really good value for money.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:45 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Bryce - I think that incubator has issues with the chicks falling down the sides and drowning.
Putting a piece of perforated rubber grip mat is a good idea to provide grip and help prevent splayed legs. Cut a piece large enough to 'seal the edges of the floor if necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:15 am 

Hi Sue, yeah I had heard that but I wasn't sure that it was referring to chook chicks. There is literally not much more than a centimetre at the biggest gap around the edge - certainly not enough for a standard chook chick to get through. Maybe much smaller chicks from breeds I don't know about or bird chicks? Either way I've read to put some chux down to save their feet from getting caught in the not so ideal mesh floor which I thought was a good idea. They should grip ok on that? I might even try and find a strip of foam to squeeze into the gaps around the edge. It is a bit underdone quality wise but hopefully with a few mods it will do the job well. Thx