Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - HELP WANTED FOR Eye issue in Bantam Cochin "Elvis"

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:34 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

:clnava

Hello all chicken keepers! I am a newbie. Grace please.

I have a mystery illness and need some advice. After 4 days heavy rain, hot and humid, my 4 year old bantam cochin becomes lethargic. I notice white coating at rear feathers and what looks like an eye infection coming on. She has watery greenish stools. not too smelly. not much appetite, not eating ANY dry pellet and no water. She eats fresh produce, tomato, celery, lettuce. will not go for a grasshopper :(

I isolate her in a small pen indoors and start treating with oral antibiotics. She begins to favor one eye which looks like it could be an eye worm. her eye also becomes swollen. there is a definite white string looking thing in the center of her eye, but not on the surface. I also treat eye with terramycin.

Her eye worsens and I start walbazen, a treatment that is supposed to kill all parasites. I also treat her eye with walbazen, as directed on one poultry website. equal parts water and walbazen. for about 3 or for days. Her eye worsens. she develops a black crusty thing that come out of the eye and a large yellowish patch forms over the entire eye. I am currently trying to moisten and massage it to remove it. Don't know if it's part of the lens, so I am being very gentle.

She layed an egg today, so overall she's improving. now eating pellets and drinking water. Clucking and crowing in the morning. Stools look normal now.

What in the world? Any thoughts on what I should do now? Any thoughts on what this may have been? I did read about something forming a yellow crusty thing in the eye and I know about thrush, which would not have been the best to start antibiotics, but she sounds like she could have some congestion. She's never had any discharge from her nasal cavity. I also used vet RX with warm water and flushed though the cleft for several days. That's another remedy for eye worm, which I have not found to be real effective. But I gave it a try.

I've done just about everything!! I have good photos to include of the mystery eye ailment. not sure how to download.

Thank you so much for your response.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:05 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

How is Elvis doing? Did she recover?