Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Suitability of metal shed for chicken coop in Melbourne

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:05 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hello!

I have just finished building a predator-proof (well, I hope it is!!), walk-in chicken run, and am now looking for a coop to go inside. Because the run is predator-proof, I plan to leave the door of the coop open at all times, for the chickens to come and go as they please. I want to avoid wood, as I find it very high maintenance in terms of cleaning, so I have been looking at plastic and metal options.

There is a lot of shade in the run at all times of the day, as it is shaded on all sides by big trees.

I am considering buying a second-hand metal (probably zinc) shed, installing my own roosting bars and nest boxes. The key considerations with converted sheds seems to be keeping them cool and ventilated in summer, and avoiding condensation in winter. I live in Melbourne.

If I keep the door wide open in summer, and half-open in winter, do you think this will be a suitable, healthy home for chickens, with sufficient ventilation, safe temperatures, and protection from the elements?

Any advice would be much appreciated, especially if you're using a metal shed in a Melbourne-type climate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:57 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

i use metal sheds. I have an open door at all times (in a safe run) and have added some vents just under the eaves. As long as they get some shade they are fine as chook houses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:26 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Oh that's great news, thanks NellyG. What sort of nesting boxes do you use?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:54 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Lawn mower catchers make great nesting boxes, they don't take up floor space, are roomy, easily obtainable (tip shop) and don't harbour mites. They can be moved out, hosed out and put back.
Do something creative to add legs - these ones are on recycled kitchen and kindy chairs.
Astro turf for nesting material is good - easily cleaned and doesn't get kicked out.

Attachments:
P1080160.JPG
P1080160.JPG [ 166.29 KiB | Viewed 626 times ]
P1070532.JPG
P1070532.JPG [ 174.71 KiB | Viewed 626 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:43 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Are you going to put it on a concrete slab or put in a false floor?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:04 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I use a variety of different nesting boxes. The chooks dont seem to mind as long as they are sort of private and comfy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

What an absolutely fabulous idea! I love your nesting boxes sue55. I'm going to try and source some of those. I'm so surprised that astroturf works - everyone seems to say you need some kind of soft bedding.

I finally went out and bought a second-hand shed - but it's made of plastic! It's a keter shed, so it comes with a plastic floor, which I'll cover with a piece of lino or similar. I had planned not to lay a slab (I'm only renting), but when I stand on the floor on top of dirt, I can feel it bowing, so I think I'd better put down some paving stones.

I'm going to try using horse stable pellets for bedding - it seems like a nice easy option, and not to difficult to buy online.

Thanks for all your help!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:26 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I have several metal roofed small coops. When a roof gets too hot in summer I put a thick layer of lawn clippings on it for insulation. When they are dry I use them for nesting material.