Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Question about how and where to buy my first chickens

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:12 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hello everyone,

I am new to chickens, and am hoping to buy three our four pullets next weekend. I thought it was a simple matter of choosing the breeds I wanted (polish, plymouth rock, barnavelder), then heading down to a farm that was recommended to me (Abundant Layers), and picking them up.

But I now realise that I should get my pullets all the same age, and that the breeds I'm after might not be available in the same age bracket, and maybe I should be buying each breed from a different seller. I'm also realising it's a bit early in the season for pullets aged 7weeks and up.

So... could anyone share with me their advice on how to find sellers and where to buy? Should I go to an auction? Go to differnt sellers for each breed? I don't use facebook so can't really see the breeders who are only on facebook.

I'm located in Melbourne and am willing to travel. The reasons I'd like to get them next weekend is because it's the start of the school holidays, so I have two weeks off from work to get the ladies settled in to their new home.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:57 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Welcome and good luck with your chicken journey. I cannot suggest where to buy in Melbourne, I just searched for breeders locally and rang around until I found someone who had what I was looking for. I would suggest not initially buying from different breeders as they should be quarantined from each other in that situation, which requires more of a setup than most first time chicken owners have. There is a lot of information available explaining about how to allow them to adjust to their new home. Have fun :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:26 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thankyou Kirane!

That's good to know, I hadn't clicked that I would need to quarantine. So much to consider!

I am so excited to be getting chickens... I really can't wait :nuts