Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - chickens and vegetables - can they co-exist?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:16 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hello wise ones

I have chickens (particularly the bantams of course) with an extraordinary ability to go over, under and sometimes it seems, right through, the pathetic wire barriers I put between them and the vegie garden. Does anyone have a pic or example of a chicken proof barrier?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:58 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi tyro,
We tried for years to protect ours, not only from the chooks, but also from the wild birds. The only thing that has worked for us is a fully enclosed garden. This thread has a pic of ours. The bottom supports are wax wood, with gal pipe and fence fixtures holding the frame. There is steel reinforced bird netting covering the lot, which is gang nailed onto the wooden base. We used "cocky clips" to hold together netting where there were joints. This area is pretty big and possibly more than you wanted, but I have seen a similar concept done with conduit formed into hoops and that covered with bird netting.
In ours, we had some cockerels in the half where the fruit trees are over the winter. We have taken them out now that the trees are flowering, but although I had them locked in a covered crate each night, there was no sign foxes had ever managed to get in. (something for a later thought, perhaps...)
So, basically, we are using this system both to keep chooks out of places they are not welcome, but also to keep them in where we want them....

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8041312

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:41 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for that. It looks seriously good. We might try the junior version with the hoops. Our other problem is possums and this would work a treat.