Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Unhealthy hen

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unhealthy hen
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:52 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Probably a month ago my young leghorn started showing signs that something wasn't right, her comb started drooping and she was often sitting by herself, I soon noticed that she had a big heap of feathers missing on her back and a couple of days later that she had some deep cuts. I realised these were from the spurs of our Rhode island rooster, so I moved him to another property. I locked her up separately for a couple of days but she was keen to get back to the others so let her back in with them. She really hasn't improved in the last couple of weeks spending a lot of time just sitting down and not feeding and tonight when i went to lock them up she was missing. I found her outside the coop on the ground asleep and as i picked her up I noticed she's turning to skin and bone.

I thought initially it would clear itself up after removing the rooster but it's not so far. My wife is getting a bit upset about it all and is starting to think we should put her down. I really don't want to but I'm beginning to think I might need to.

I thought I'd check in and see if anyone else has had this problem and whether it just takes a while to clear up or whether it's likely to get worse.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Unhealthy hen
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:09 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

When was she last wormed and with what?
Check her over for lice - they will target an unwell bird and make things worse.
Is she eating and drinking? Is her crop full at night and empty in the morning?
Do the sniff test - both ends. Any bad smells?