Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Is Moxidectin safe for a very young duck?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:25 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi everyone,

I just aquired a new Silver Appleyard Duck about a week ago and want to treat her for worms. I’m not sure of her exact age, but she’s very young. Although she looks to be adult size, she still has some little bits of duckling down under her wings and her primary wing feathers are still growing out.

Is it safe to dose her with Moxidectin at this age or is she too young?

Any advice much appreciated! :duck2

Thanks,
Cathy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:14 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

It’s pretty unlikely that she has a worm problem. What makes you think she needs worming? Worming probably won’t do any harm but it might not be needed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:41 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi Rach,

Thanks for your reply!

I think one of my ducks actually picked up some mites during a visit to the bird vet a few months ago, because soon afterwards I noticed mites in their night house. For the 12 years I’ve had my ducks, they’ve never had mites before so I wasn’t sure how to treat them. At the time, I cleaned out their house thoroughly and applied Pestene to everything weekly (but not to the birds themselves), and thought I’d nipped the problem in the bud. Unfortunately, it looks like the mites are back. I just found two in their house this evening when putting them to bed, and when I squished one of them it was full of blood.
I just want to make sure my new addition Lilly (the Appleyard) is protected, and from what I’ve heard Moxidectin is a good treatment for any parasites (except tapeworm I think?).
My poor ducks. I want to get rid of these terrible mites once and for all!

Do you have any advice about the best way to treat ducks (and their house) for mites - I’d really appreciate any tips I can get! :help:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:07 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Ah, I see. Mites, not worms :)

Yes, I think it’d be safe to use the moxidectin on your young duck, and any other ducks you have. I’d also clean out their house thoroughly and then absolutely saturate every nook and cranny with a permethrin based spray. It’s cheapest to buy a concentrate that you make up with water. I buy mine at Horseland and use a big, air pressure based garden sprayer. Make sure you use permethrin - check the ingredients.

If using spot on moxidectin put it just behind the base of the neck, on the skin. It will make the feathers look wet or greasy in that area for a little while, but don’t worry about that.

Giving them 24/7 swimming access will also help with mites. It’s bad luck to get mites on ducks. Usually they are mite free. Hopefully after this episode you won’t see them again :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:13 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

This is the kind of spray I mean: https://www.horseland.com.au/permetrol.html

You can also buy sachets of powder that you make up into a spray with water - that brand is Coopex. Produce stores should have that.