Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - IMPROVING THE DORKING & RESURRECTING THE BREED

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:29 am 

[color=#0000FF]I'm hoping for some helpful feedback on moving forward with my Dorking breeding plan. The Dorkings are one of our rare breeds and we are trying to bring numbers and standards up. The main problem considered by Dorking experts is our Australian birds are too small. However, there are many other things to be considered.
I'm hoping for other Dorking breeders input but also from other experienced breeders who have been dealing with rare breeds and quality control from a relatively small gene pool.

Hi,
I started aquiring my flock 3 years ago and started breeding Dorkings last year. I currently have a flock of 9 hens. I have 3 roosters, 2 related. I wanted some feedback on which direction to focus on moving forward. I have a superb rooster, great size, I havent weighed him but large compared to others that I have seen. His hind toes are perfect, his colouring is good, not pure white across the back but close to, his comb, face, eyes, wattle, ear lobes are great. He's won Supreme Champion before I got him. He is an impressive bird but his temperament is not. He can be agressive- very much so towards other roosters and even towards people sometimes.
My other roosters are not in the same catergory as him. One has good hind toes on one leg and a little webbing on the other leg. Heis not as big but to be fair, he's 6 months younger than the first rooster. His comb has a gap with no peaks, probably only mssing one peak but his brother has the same. His colouring is a bit messier than the first rooster on his back but it's not too bad. All 3 have a good white triangle on their flight wings. All 3 are clear of any red colouring through their plumage.My 3rd rooster is my emergency back up. His toes have webbing on both legs but matches his brother in every other way. Both the brothers have lovely temperaments and can be out with their own hens at the same time. They can't defend themselves in my bachelor flock of back up and other colour roosters of other breeds I have.They're a little over zealous with their hens but they only have 2 each. I'm not actually breeding at the moment as I have just moved, so I'm just trying to keep them happy!
My hens range in quality. They all have great body shape,combs, colouring, some are longer in the leg than others, some are redder on the breast but from toes up, they're really nice birds. They're docile, sweet birds, not even getting defensive if they have chicks. It's their toes and size that need correcting and improving. All but 2 have webbing, 1 has slightly twisted front toes that appeared as she matured and one even has the 2 hind toes joined. I don't know, as a group or individual breeders, what is considered more important as we progress the breed. I know we need to improve the size and quality but temperament is also important. I haven't yet bred with this rooster, so there is some experimenting to be done but logic, to me, points to using the better quality rooster and hoping that the hens temperaments over ride his. I was hoping for some thoughts, ideas and other people with more experience breeding the Dorkings and other rare breeds to help guide me. My other breeds, I won't tolerate aggression and they get the chop straight away.
I look forward to your feedback and thank you in advance!!
Cheers, Lena.
:clnava :oldie

Attachments:
P4290084.JPG
P4290084.JPG [ 580.57 KiB | Viewed 767 times ]
P4290087 (2).JPG
P4290087 (2).JPG [ 501.48 KiB | Viewed 767 times ]
P4290085.JPG
P4290085.JPG [ 221.08 KiB | Viewed 767 times ]
File comment: The better of the 2 brothers
P4290080.JPG
P4290080.JPG [ 200.41 KiB | Viewed 767 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:10 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Lena, do you know of the Dorking Preservation Australia & New Zealand group on FB?
Some very dedicated people working on the breed in that group.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:27 am 

Thanks Marie, yes I do. I'm casting the net as far as I can! Thank you. :biggrin: