Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - DAY 18 SMALL AIR CELLS PLEASE HELP

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:02 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

This is my first time hatching eggs. I had my humidity way too high for the beginning of incubation due to my incubator humidity percentage reading way lower than it actually was. It wasn’t until about day 12 that I realized the humidity was WAY too high. I quickly emptied the incubator of all water and it is now day 18. Air cells are still much smaller than I believe they should be on day 18 and I am just wondering if there is anything at all I can possibly do at this point. Also, has anyone had success in hatching eggs with smaller air cells? Praying these babies make it out okay! I’ll post pics of where I marked my air cells tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:46 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Hi Shelby.

What I’d do at this point is candle the eggs and position them lying on their sides, but so the aircell is on the up or top side. The air cells should have a little dip in them, more to one side than the other. Lie them so that dip is on the top. Does that make sense? Then just leave them alone, with no turning at all.

Let us know how big the air cells are so we can give a better opinion on how much an issue the air cells are likely to be. A few pics would be great.

Do brace yourself for a hatch that is not as good as you had planned for. But don’t give up hope.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:42 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thank you for your help! It is now day 19 and I emptied my incubator of the water and stuck a bowl of white rice in there to absorb extra moisture and the humidity percent is holding steady at 38%. I plan on adding some water to raise humidity at sight of first pip. I meant to attach images im sorry, I couldn't figure out how to post a thread earlier! The air cells are SLIGHTLY larger tonight. I don't plan on candling again for fear of disrupting the process from this point forward. I really didn't want to do it again today but had to check the progress of the air sac's.

Attachments:
IMG_3793.JPG
IMG_3793.JPG [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 324 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:04 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

How did they get in Shelby?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:22 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I’m sorry I missed your post, Shelby. I hope things went ok..