Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - 'Safest' Chicken Wormer?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 8:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 'Safest' Chicken Wormer?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:13 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hey everyone!

I am really at an end as to what I need to use for my chicken wormer!

I have a backyard flock that consists of a mixed 25, 1-7 years old Australorps, Wyandottes, Isa Browns and Barnevelders. They have a large paddock to roam through and the temperatures where I live - rural NSW, reaches 50 degrees Celsius in the summer. I have never wormed the flock before but upon observing my Australorp rooster (and a few of the other girls) I have realised that they could be in fact exhibiting signs of Gapeworm - a parasite that is freaking me out after some extensive research!

Does anyone have any ideas as to an all-round worming treatment that holds no threat to the consumption of eggs as I sell mine to the local roadhouses? Specifically I am looking for one that treats Gapeworm as well as all the more common worms as I have found that a lot on the market do not eradicate Gapeworm.

I have read good reviews for the 'Aristopet Wormer for Poultry' but nowhere can I see whether this is effective Gapeworms - just hairworm, caecal worm and roundworms? Otherwise it seems like a great option. The other medication I have seen a lot of is the 'Avitrol Plus Bird Worming Syrup' which seems great for all worms, but I can not find anywhere a suggested withholding period for eggs and some websites state that the medication renders all future produced eggs inedible?

Any suggestions that you guys may have would be invaluable to me as all vet supply shops I have contacted (including my local vet) seem to leave me scratching my head as to the safety of egg consumption as they all seem too interested in endorsing their own products... :aaah!

Thank you in a advance if you are able to help me! :th

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:47 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Regarding treating gapeworm, in viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8040852&p=831308&hilit=gapeworm#p831308 Milo says "Levamisole (avitrol), benzamidazoles (wormout) and macrocyclic lactones (ivermectin/moxidectin) will all treat gapeworm"
If it's gapeworm it's highly likely that they will be reinfected due to consuming intermediate hosts (worms, snails) so if you think the wormer you have used didn't work they may have been reinfected or the dose rate was incorrect or incorrectly administered (in water and they didn't drink enough)
The prepatent period is around 14 days so follow up treatment at around ten days would be recommended to kill the ones missed before they start shedding eggs again.

Regarding egg with holding period the problem is essentially it is not worth the pharmaceutical companies doing research on this as the backyard poultry market is too small. Most people seem to follow a with holding period of 14 days.

As you are selling eggs the regulations in NSW are covered here http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/ind ... -egg-farms. This explains why you are having trouble receiving easy to follow advice as it is quite vague-
"Small egg farms should:
1. only use pesticides and veterinary medicines that are registered for use with the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA), and
2. use and store pesticides and veterinary medicines according to the manufacturer’s specifications.
See also our factsheet suitability of chemicals for use in food businesses (pdf)"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:36 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Moxidectin plus would be ideal. You can buy it from the Melbourne bird clinic, they will post it to you, they will also give you advice. http://www.melbournebirdvet.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:15 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Kirane - Wow! Thank you so much for providing me those links. I have spent most of the afternoon within those websites researching egg and medical regulations which has given me great insight to the treatment I think I might use. Going by what Milo said, the Aristopet Wormer contains Levamisole which appears to eradicate Gapeworm if administered correctly - something that all the online stores I have visited haven't mentioned! Another bonus of it, it's registered within APVMA which puts my mind at ease in terms of egg consumption.

Squeaker - I will be sure to also look into the Moxidectin plus, as well as the Melbourne Bird Clinic. It is always great to know that there is someone to contact should there be any other dramas (A resource that lacks where I live :-( ).

Thank you so much for your help!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:02 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

For reference

https://parasitipedia.net/index.php?opt ... temid=2942

Numerous classic broad spectrum anthelmintics are effective against Syngamus trachea, e.g. several benzimidazoles (albendazole, fenbendazole, flubendazole, mebendazole, oxfendazole, etc.), levamisole, as well as macrocyclic lactones (e.g. ivermectin).

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!