Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Egg temperature in incubator (using laser) 38degC+

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 12:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:47 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

We have borrowed an incubator from a friend and seem to be having some issues with temperature/humidity. It is a non-branded yellow 48 egg incubator.

We trialled it for 24 hours before we set eggs and using its thermometer set to 37.5degC meant it was running at 38.9degC. So we have lowered the temperature setting as far as it will go (doesn't seem to go below 37.2degC). Machine says it is 36.5-37.2degC but we have two other thermometers to measure temps (which both seem to agree with each other!!) ... that say inside is 38.5degC ?!?!?!?!

When I use a laser infrared thermometer on the actual egg, it says 38degC.

Have we stuffed up our batch? They have only been in 1 day! Should we try to open a corner to let some heat escape?

We have ordered a new Janoel but it wont arrive for a couple of days.

The humidity reading on the machine is way out from our other measures ... so given the temperature is wrong, I'm not trusting that either!!

Thanks for any advice!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:55 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Given that your three thermometers are so close together I'd trust them and not the thermostat in the incubator.

Does this incubator have a fan to move the air around or does it not have a fan (which means it's a 'still air' incubator)? In a still air incubator the temperature at the top of the incubator and at the top of the eggs is warmer than the temp at the middle and bottom of the eggs, as the air settles into layers and is not mixed up by a fan. It is normal to run a still air incubator a bit hotter than a fan forced incubator. Generally you would go for 38.3 C in a still air incubator. So, if yours is still air then it is not too far off and I wouldn't be too worried. Chicken eggs (which I'm assuming is what you have on the go) are fairly forgiving of mild departures from the ideal.

Don't worry about the humidity - whatever it is at the moment (high or low) it won't matter at all for a few days.

When you get the new Janoel do the same temperature checking and calibration of that machine to check it and, if you are happier with it, move the eggs in to the new machine.

Hope you get a good hatch :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:23 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks so much for your reply.

Sorry, I should have said they were chicken eggs :-) Luckily these are a mix of free and "cheap" eggs ... so if they don't hatch we haven't spent money on the really nice eggs we want to try when we're sure we have everything working! A mix of all sorts - Barnevelders; Marans; Araucanas; Australorp x; Welsummer x and who knows what else!!

I don't think it has a fan ... as I said, it has no branding on it so I can't check details. The air doesn't seem to be moving much but there is the buzzing sound of the machine working. The air temperature doesn't seem very different but the eggs are at different temperatures in different locations in the machine. Just checked again and some are 37.8, some are 38.3 and one was 40 :shock: :shoc

I have propped open the incubator on the side that had the hottest eggs. Not sure what effect this will have

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:38 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Good idea to trial things with some less important eggs first.

The temperature variation is a bit tricky. The 40 degree egg probably isn’t doing too well. Just leave the eggs where they are (till you get the Janoel) so that the ones that are in a sweet spot get to stay there. Propping open the lid at the hot zone was a good idea, given that it’s got up to 40.

Incubation is always a learning experience. We all have equipment issues/problems, and a learning process of working out how to drive the machine and of getting to know how eggs behave during incubation (moisture loss etc).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:03 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

We candled tonight ... and we actually saw movement!! So at least one has survived. Given we are very inexperienced at candling we think we have 11 out of 22 with embryos ... and some of the others look possible. One had a clear blood ring. There seemed to be quite a bit of different sized embryos (10 of the eggs were put in 12 hours later than the first lot)?!

They are now all in the new incubator which is keeping it's temperature perfectly!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:34 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

That’s all great to hear! Very good news.

You can toss out any with obvious blood rings.

I’m sure you’ll end up with some chicks :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:03 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The yellow lidders do tend to have significant temp variation across the incubator
You should be able to control the set temperature if you calibrate the temperature sensor to agree with your independent thermometers.
Measure the temp at a few places across the incubator (at egg level), find the average and use that as your calibration temp.
Here's a link to some simple instructions which apply to most of the yellow lidders.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8037114&hilit=JN8+48+simple+instructions

The temp should be a bit more stable when the inc is full and the eggs provide some thermal mass.
Avoid having the lid 'cracked' if possible or you will struggle with the humidity.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:28 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

We got 4 live chicks out of the hatch. Interestingly, few died in the early stages when the heat was too high ... most look like they got about halfway through development before they died.

Of the ones we hatched ... two of the eggs were ones that I measured at 40degC!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:04 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Good that you got a few! Interesting that some were the 40 degree ones!!