Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - 9wk old hen found hanging by leg, now lame

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 9:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:51 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi all,

One of my recently hatched chickens, a buff laced Polish pullet, was found by Dad on Saturday morning hanging by its left foot from bird wire that I'd used to separate the young ones from the adults... some of the more adventurous young ones had taken to roosting ontop of this at night time and as they have gotten older they have learnt to scale the wire, interact with the adults, then jump/fly/scale back over the wire if threatened etc... I have now run another length of wire and tightly linked it to the ceiling wire to prevent them from doing this again.. even if the horse has already bolted so to speak.

This pullet must have been roosting on Friday night/Saturday morning when another has knocked her off and resulted in her getting her foot tangled and ended up hanging from it for who knows how long..

We've separated here from the other, in a box inside of our house.

Observations:
1. She cannot use her left leg and is just laying on her side (I swap her over when I can remember).. 1. She has returned to eating
2. She is eating pullet grower. I have offered water but she does not take it, so I leave it within her reach.
3. The left leg was cold yesterday evening, today it is warmer, she still bunches the toes up and there is a little resistance/curling effort when putting a finger under the toes and gently pushing the leg towards the body but nothing like the strong response from the good leg.
4. She lies there mostly content, coo'ing from time to time when being handled (pain?).
5. There is no negative response (squawking etc) when maneuvering the leg or toes of the left leg, so I don't believe her to be in a great deal of pain.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Should we just put her out of her misery or is there a chance with a good few days of rest that she will begin trying to use the injured leg again?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:55 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I would continue to care for her and give her time. At least a couple of weeks (in my experience bird leg strains can take about that long to show improvement). Birds do have pretty good powers of healing...so give her a chance.

Try moistening the food and also giving her things that have a bit of moisture in them, like scrambled eggs, peas, raw meat etc. That’ll get a bit of liquid into her.

If time shows that she really can’t walk at all then it’d be best to put her to sleep, but if she can at least hobble round that’s good enough.

Fingers crossed that she comes good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:23 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Rach,

Thanks for the advice, we will try and get liquids in via the foods.

Good news is that she is now sleeping upright instead of lying on her side supported by a wing.

She has also tentatively stood up and hobbled about in the box. We will be moving her to an old rabbit hutch but under a pergola for some protection from the elements.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:08 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Yes it happened to one of mine, jumped from the roost and caught her leg in the hook of the feeder chain.
But she was not as bad as yours. Came good again completely. (Yes changed the chain after the horse, too).
One of the problems is that the blood goes to their brain and can cause damage. (That is why according to the welfare regulations carrying chickens by their feet is unacceptable except for short distances to slaughter.)
Yours seems to be improving, so just give her time and watch.
All the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:09 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Great news that she has stood up on her own. I’m sure she’ll be fine :)

The main risk with holding birds upside down is the pressure that their intestines and other organs put on their lungs (or air sacs). Birds don’t have a diaphragm like us that separates the lungs and other organs so there is nothing to stop pressure on the lungs when hanging upside down. As a result, the bird can suffer from a lack of oxygen and can even suffocate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:59 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks again for the advice.

I am pleased to report she is hobbling about the box regularly and is back to eating and drinking normally.

She bunches the left toes into a ball, hopefully she will get feeling back in them and begin to use them.

We will place her in the hutch tonight after work, it's going to be warmer over the coming days, too hot in the study where she is now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:05 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

That’s great. She might have a bit of tendon damage or something like that. But as long as she can get to food and water and doesn’t seem to be in pain that’s all that matters.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:57 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

She's making great progress. Now walking around with a limp but using the foot normally. Toes are a bit limp or crooked.

I'll give her another 8 or so days alone before reintroducing to the others.

The boys from the group are all off to a new home this weekend too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:12 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Fantastic! Good plan to give her a bit more recovery time to be on the safe side.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:13 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I'm pleased to report that she has made as near a full recovery as possible.

The limping has all but gone, the only thing amiss is that the rear toe on the left foot appears broken and at an odd angle.

I re-integrated her with her hatch mates, now minus 7 boys and plus an additional Vorwerk pullet of similar age, and she is running around, scratching the ground with both legs and having dust baths.

Thanks for the advice because without it she may have been culled too early given how bad she looked.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:05 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

That is good news! :-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:19 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

You’ve done a great job of caring for her.