Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sleeping in nesting boxes

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:36 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

My 10 week old male sleeps with his 2 ladies in the nesting boxes.
I read on another thread someone 'gently discouraged hers from doing this.
Im wondering what gently is. Blocking it off would be effective, but not gentle. Its 42 degrees here and all 3 are in 1 nesting box. When they have free range enclosure with shady bushes.
Is this safe? They are content enough. They have gone out for a scratch around a couple of times, dont appear stressed.
Im probably over worrying ill lose them to heat. Whilst they're dorkings with good heat coping, they are only 10 weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:26 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I think if they are happy and contented, there is no cause for concern. 10 weeks is still very young. While some chicks at 10 weeks might be on perches, this is not always the case. As they 'grow up', they will work it out. At 10 weeks, they are also not laying, so there's really no harm.

If there's no sign of a change by about 16 weeks, maybe get a bit firmer so you dont end up with "dirty" egg laying areas. You might try providing a 'sleeping nest' (e.g., a box with straw on the floor) and block the nest boxes off altogether for a couple of weeks to encourage new habits. I currently have a 2 year old and a 30 week old that prefer the floor while their 'friends' sleep on perches. They seem otherwise healthy and happy.

If you are concerned about them overheating, maybe just move them at night, each night, to a floor nest until they go there by themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:16 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

New coup being built at weekend. Will put several different perches in and (during day) block off sleep area tto keep it clean. Thankyou!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:35 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

When i am training birds not to sleep in the nest boxes I block them off late afternoon and then remove the block after they have gone to bed so the older birds can get in to lay in the morning. It usually doesn't take them long to get the idea.