Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Water / Clear Liquid Leaking From Chicken Bumhole

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 7:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:50 am 

Prelude: I spent a good 5 minutes on Google asking "how do you spell Quoka" only to see furry little marsupials. I also googled "what do you call a chickens bumhole?" and got zero results except for a heap of stuff that is not related. So for some reason the internet is not going to help me with the spelling of the stupid word. I know it's a "kwokka." However you spell that is up to you.

I have a perfectly healthy chicken and thismorning I noticed what appeared to be a couple of drops of water (or something) dripping from her ass when I put her back on the ground. She then walked about a metre and a few more substantial drops dripped down. I had a look, and the area looks a little wet but not dirty or anything. I then picked her up for a cuddle (she's gorgeous), and when I put her down, my arm was COVERED in some kind of clear liquid (too scared to smell it sorry).

Google searches have only produced results for how to roast a chicken, unfortunately. Google is really being an ass today. If anyone has any theories, I'm really keen to hear them. She is otherwise happy and healthy and strutting around like normal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:18 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

It’s called a cloaca. Pronounced klo-AY-ka.

What did her weight feel like? Did she feel light and bony or solid and ‘meaty’?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:39 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Also, can you describe the liquid? Was it as runny as water or thicker than that? Any resemblance to egg white (which is quite runny when warmed by the chook).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:47 pm 

Hey there, it was VERY much like water (didn't smell it, haha) but I noticed she had some pretty rank diahorrea so I am assuming that's all it might have been because two days later she was fine. Solid poos again and no leaks. I had to hold her for 2 hours int he car so pretty sure it's all clear :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:13 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Good news! :)