Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Extremely High Fatality Rate - 8/24 Chicks! Advice?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:27 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to know if anyone had any input into my most recent hatching. Here's some information:

I used a Janoel 24 egg model incubator which I have had great results in the past with but this time I only got 8/24 chicks. Upon candling on day 18, I had to get rid of 7 eggs, two of which had well formed dead chicks in them, the others seemed to just be bad.

I had terrible trouble getting the eggs rolling correctly during the first 18 days. A few times I had to open the incubator to adjust the eggs from bunching up to one side.

On the 21st day, I lost two after they had pipped. One seemed to pip through one of it's veins resulting in what I suspect was too much blood loss. The other started to unzip successfully before all this yellow fluid erupted from the eggs and drowned the poor thing...

On the 22nd day, I had 8 beautiful chickens but the 9 remaining eggs after I removed them from the incubator to see what had happened to them, all had chickens in them who looked like they had died around about the day 17-18 mark.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might've happened? From what I could tell on my chart, I didn't see any major spikes or drops in humidity and temp. They were postal eggs from a supplier I haven't brought from before so could it have something to do with genetics or was it something I've done that I've completely overlooked? Like I said, I've had postal eggs before which I've had great success with!

Anyway, any suggestions you may have would be great - I'd hate to make the same mistake with my next batch!

Attachments:
File comment: My gorgeous chickens that I was lucky enough to hatch out - for your viewing pleasure!
Wyandotte Chickens.jpg
Wyandotte Chickens.jpg [ 213.73 KiB | Viewed 1998 times ]
File comment: Humidity and Temp Chart
Humi. & Temp. Chart.jpg
Humi. & Temp. Chart.jpg [ 245.93 KiB | Viewed 1998 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:48 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Really glad that you got 8. But I’m sorry about the rest.

With incubation, everything has to go right. I would be having a think about:
- are the parent birds inbred
- do the parent birds have adequate nutrition. They need a high quality feed for the best results. Low nutrition means weak chicks
- were the eggs clean (don’t need to wash them but never use eggs with poop on them)
- was the incubator spotlessly clean
- are you confident the temperature setting is accurate and consistent (measured with a quality thermometer)
- did the eggs lose enough moisture to make big enough air cells? If the air cells are not big enough by the hatch time this is a common cause of death.

Working out what went wrong is a bit like solving a mystery. You need to consider and eliminate all of the many possibilities.

Although the resuit was not what you hoped for, 8 is still 8, so congratulations, and I hope you’re enjoying your new bubs :)