Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Hen getting bullied

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hen getting bullied
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:03 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I picked up (rescued-ish, they have thousands of birds but i can only hold a few) 6 hyline browns from an egg farm.

I've had some in the past and they were great hens great layers and very friendly.

This lot however have 4 that are bullies. 1 has unfortunately died early on, but i have 1 that is excluded from everything. It cant get near food or water without being attacked. It spends a lot of time roosting on the food bin (44 gallon drum) and today i found an egg up there minus its shell.

Now i know this happens from time to time but this is the second shell less egg we've had since getting chooks again. I'm pretty sure that its from the hen getting bullied, and I'm assuming that it is a food deficiency problem.

Is there a way i can prevent the bullying and also allow this poor hen to get its share of the food?

They have plenty of food scraps and greens as well as a "layer" pellet mix. I normally get a quality mix but my inlaws got them a different mix while i was away and it looks more like a parrot mix than chook pellets, with a black seed, corn, a dark brown/black pellet in it. I make sure there is always a good supply of pellet mix and they get daily food scraps and greens.

I dont want to lose this hen, and the fact it's the one my youngest child named makes it worse. He's a caring lad and would be devastated if it died.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Hen getting bullied
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:30 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

If the bullying is new behaviour for the bullies, please check the one getting picked on is not ill or injured. Sometimes bullying happens because they sense the target is weak.
You could try putting the food and water in 3 or 4 separate stations to ensure she gets a chance to eat. The bullies cant keep her away from every spot. It might also be a good idea to provide somewhere for her to hide and be able to access food in that spot.
Also, sometimes, giving them MORE ROOM reduces bullying.

Tell us how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Cheers. This behaviour has been there since we got them.

I try to spread the feed around so they have various options. I'm not the only one that feeds them so cant guarantee that it happens all the time.

Our chook pen is fairly large but i let them out a lot anyway. I'll try separate them more and feed her alone for a bit see how it goes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:15 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Well, I thought the problem was getting better but I fed them today in 3 different spots.

No matter where the poor girl went she was sought out and attacked. At one point 2 of the other hens were on top of her while all 4 pecked at her.

I couldn't find any injury or illness aside from the deshevelled look of having feathers picked at.

I sent the 4 hens packing outside of the pen and left the bullied one in there with all the food to herself for a while. Hopefully she has a decent feed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:06 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

It is difficult - I've found separating them permanently is the only permanent fix. And that's with the more 'heritage' breeds - having similar problem just now with white Faverolles, normally a very placid breed. It's one of the reasons I will never keep any of the Isa/Lohman/Gingerham whatever commercial breeds, being all friendly with people doesn't make up for their plain nastiness with their own kind.

But we all have a little of the hypocrite in us: I've just brought home three pairs of peacocks, and knew I had to build a couple extra pens for separation because nothing is nastier to its own kind than peacocks, unless it's pheasants.