Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sick year old chook, new flock

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:29 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hello, I've recently got 3 chooks after a break while overseas for a few years. They're about a year old, hylines, and have been each laying an egg daily since they first started laying (and since we got them from the family who was getting rid of them).
The boss girl started looking a bit peaky on Wednesday and she has since gone downhill. The other two spend the day foraging round the garden but she has just found quiet spot to hang out by herself. She's become progressively more hunched over and her tail is down. She hasn't laid since Tuesday and she's not eating or drinking much.
Initially I wondered whether it might be related to change of diet and new home, but it's moved beyond that now. I then also wondered if she'd eaten something dodgy - we have a plague of redbacks at the moment, plus the chooks did get into a patch with a rhubarb plant, though I don't think they actually ate any (or much) of the leaves. So now I'm wondering if maybe she's eggbound, but I don't really know how to find out! I have felt around her vent and there is a hard bit but i think it's just the bones. It does seem to be uncomfortable round there though as when I'm feeling around she tenses up. The cloaca is kind of spasming a bit too. There's no discharge or visible worms in any of the poos - there are some pretty tarry poos out in the yard but I don't know whose they are - I've brought her inside now so I guess I'll see soon enough what hers are like. I just gave her bum a bath in warm salt water and she's now wrapped up in towels in my lap, asleep. Her breathing is sometimes audible but doesn't seem laboured or rattly. I will keep her inside tonight as it's pretty miserable here in Melbourne today. I got an all round wormer (killverm) and will put it in her water tonight. I don't know when she was last wormed.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:58 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Oh and sorry I should have mentioned - her comb is a good colour and isn't droopy... plus the food I have for them is whole grain mix (sunflower, corn, wheat etc) which they've obviously never had before - they are not particularly into it and I've just gone and bought some layer pellets which I think they are more familiar with! They also have shellgrit and kitchen scraps, as well as free ranging in the garden.
When I bathed and held her for a while I noticed her feathers are in really good condition and there's no sign of mites or anything. Her crop does feel a bit hard but I don't really know what I'm feeling for there either. I'm now just reading up on Coccidiosis and wonder whether that's a possibility. It has been pretty hot and humid here over the last week.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:39 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

If she is hunched with her tail down then she is really not feeling well, as prey animals they try to hide illness or injury.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8019702, this may help you decide if she is eggbound.

Coccidiosis is generally more of a risk for chicks than laying hens who are used to foraging.

While Killverm may have been sold to you as an all round wormer it does not treat tapeworms, Wormout and Avitrol Plus are available at pet/ produce stores and cover this.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:44 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

She could be egg bound, have a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8019702. The only way to know for sure is a vet trip and x ray.

She could also have egg yolk peritonitis, where an egg breaks inside her. This is probably more likely and in my experience more common.

If a visit to the vets is out of the question and you have some left over antibiotics in the cupboard, if you haven't, friends or relatives usually do, look for amoxycillin or cephalexin.

The dosage for birds is a lot higher than for humans. It's 100mg per kg, in other words one 250mg tablet for a 2.5kg chook twice daily. If you only have 500mg capsules they'll be fine.

How to give a chook a tablet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ep0I9VgPb4

Last edited by Squeaker on Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:45 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Snap Kirane :-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:12 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks Kirane and John ... sadly she didn't make it. After a night inside next to the heater, with plenty of sips of water, some multivitamin and a bit of yoghurt, I was hoping for a positive sign this morning but she didn't look good. She'd done a very liquid, pretty stinky poo. I kept a towel over her box and put her out in the shed, separate from the other two. Went out for an hour or so and when I came back and checked her she was dead. Poor thing.
Thanks for the info though - good to know for the future.