Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - feeding lucerne chaff

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: feeding lucerne chaff
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:25 am 

feeding Lucerne chaff

Good morning,
I have decided to bite the bullet and despite what I wrote in 2015 that I would never again have chickens after a fox slaughtered my little flock, have decided to once again get involved with some chickens albeit with a new strategy to defeat foxes. In the short term it will mean restricting their movements until such time as I can build a foxproof run for them. In the long term, I know I will win. I have a couple of questions if I may. One is, do many chicken owners feed Lucerne chaff to their birds as a medium to enhance the egg color and to also benefit their health and secondly, in the same vein, is crushed corn fed as a scratch grain especially in winter to benefit the birds and also enhance egg color?
Thank you in advance and I am pleased to again be part of this great, informative site.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:28 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Welcome back, better luck this time round. My thoughts adding crushed corn is a waste of time/storage space if already feeding a good complete pellet like Laucke's Showbird. Same with lucerne - I feed lucerne because it's already there for the sheep, and mix it with ground grains as a damp mash - again only because it is delivered from local farms. If suburban again, wouldn't bother. A good quality pellet has all they need, why mess with what has been developed by nutritional science.

For egg colour, green stuff adds to the colour with some birds, not all, depends how individuals metabolise it. And if they are usually fed more of a cheap rubbish pellet so missing out on something, the additive might help. Personally I am always a bit revolted by bright yellow to orange yolks, they scream out manipulation, they don't taste better and they look like battery-cage eggs when they've been a bit liberal with the red-factory canary colouring additives. (Lucerne is a great feed value item, high protein etc).

(And yes the Forum is great, always good to retreat here when the dangerous stupidity of fb poultry groups makes you want to run screaming).