Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Are these all girls? Yellow legs - several breeds - pullets

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:40 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

We are a little confused?? :?: We have 14 laying chooks and are only getting 4-5 eggs each day. This is all fine if the girls are happy and only feel like laying every few days or if they are too young as yet to lay. All chooks have all been here now for a minimum of 4 weeks. I would appreciate some confirmation from those of you in the know, as to whether or not all of these"girls" below, are actually girls! :oops: :oops: There isnt any crowing happening.
We have a suspicion that one of the Rhode Island Reds is a boy, the comb is different to the other. :roll:
The other thing I have been told is that if hens legs are yellow, that they are not old enough to lay. Is this true or is someone pulling my leg?? :lol:

2 dogs, 2 mature cats & 2 immature silly kittens, fish, 2 cockatiels, lots of chooks, 10 ducks, 3 turkeys, teenagers who tolerate my poultry fetish and a wonderful understanding husband! How lucky am I!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:57 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Hi
The yellow legs is a furphy. Some chooks do have yellow legs as part of their characteristics and yellow legs is not an indication of laying or non-laying.

The chook with the larger comb loks like an older hen to me but its a difficult call from that photograph.

Now as for your hens, the gold laced wyandottes are fairly young and wouldn't be ready to lay yet. The others looks like hens that are either point of lay and or capable of laying. Four weeks is not a lot of time for hens to settle into a place - even for known layers.

The best way to guage a laying hen is to measure the distance between her pin bones in her rump. Two or three fingers spacing btween the pins and she is laying. Less than that and she is not laying for what ever the reason. Hens do not lay well after being moved and resettled, during very hot, cold or wet weather nd during their annual moult.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:13 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi Mike
when you say "the chook with the larger comb look like an older hen" are you referring to the first photo or the third photo?
Cheers
Jenny

2 dogs, 2 mature cats & 2 immature silly kittens, fish, 2 cockatiels, lots of chooks, 10 ducks, 3 turkeys, teenagers who tolerate my poultry fetish and a wonderful understanding husband! How lucky am I!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:35 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Hi
First photo - both chooks in the third photo are hens.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:00 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I have to agree, they all appear to be pullets (ones pictured anyways) and some are to young to lay yet.
Another thing to look for is the comb. If it is getting full and red, it won't be to long before laying.
Also, like mike says it takes some time for them to settle in.

Cockerals and pullets look different even at an imature age.
Just an example for you. See the curved feathers in front of the tail(saddle feathers) and large comb on the cockerel compared to the pullets.(sorry the picture isn't very clear)
pullet
cockerel same age as the pullet

I think the hen in the first photo is older than most of the others. Just a guess though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:22 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

can people see the pics I posted? I was pmed they weren't showing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:21 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

i can see the pics you posted and Im loving them ! sorry though i know nothing on chooks (thats why im combing these pages) so there is no way I could help you :cry: you know some uk web site i read said the thing with the leg colour and my chooks had yellowish legs when i got them and now they are white.maybe its an old wives tale but i thought it was real lol .... see I dont know squat !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:49 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I can see the pics now, thanks.