Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Wet Mash

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wet Mash
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:30 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi all, can someone tell me what is wet mash and what is in it and when is the best time to feed it out.
Regards Hillman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:52 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Hillman...wet mash is usually made from the pellets you are feeding your chooks with hot water added..This is either layer pellets or grower pellets...I occasionally add other thing to my wet mash when the need arises...eg...I throw in a few eggs to the mash when my chooks are refeathering after a moult...or I put in a little cod liver oil if I start to get soft shelled eggs...vits can also be added if there is a shortage of this as well...I feed mash mostly in the winter time for their afternoon feed...they really love it and it warms them up...You will find that they hog into a mash and I tend not to get much if any left over unlike pellets..less waste..
Hope this helps you...it works for me..
Looloo :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:20 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I use a wet mash in the colder weather and it is basically bran and pollard and hot water with sometimes a little sunflower or crushed linseed, maybe garlic granules or seaweed mix. It is usually a treat here, in addition to the grain, not something I give everyday unless its really cold as this mix can loosen their bowels a bit but as looloo says its a great way to give them vits and it warms them up. I buy the extra stuff from the horse feed merchant which can be expensive. Just about anything a horse eats the chooks like too.

Ginny

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:02 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

looloo wrote:
Hi Hillman...wet mash is usually made from the pellets you are feeding your chooks with hot water added..This is either layer pellets or grower pellets...I occasionally add other thing to my wet mash when the need arises...eg...I throw in a few eggs to the mash when my chooks are refeathering after a moult...or I put in a little cod liver oil if I start to get soft shelled eggs...vits can also be added if there is a shortage of this as well...I feed mash mostly in the winter time for their afternoon feed...they really love it and it warms them up...You will find that they hog into a mash and I tend not to get much if any left over unlike pellets..less waste..
Hope this helps you...it works for me..
Looloo :)
Thanks looloo i will give it a go.

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:04 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ginny wrote:
I use a wet mash in the colder weather and it is basically bran and pollard and hot water with sometimes a little sunflower or crushed linseed, maybe garlic granules or seaweed mix. It is usually a treat here, in addition to the grain, not something I give everyday unless its really cold as this mix can loosen their bowels a bit but as looloo says its a great way to give them vits and it warms them up. I buy the extra stuff from the horse feed merchant which can be expensive. Just about anything a horse eats the chooks like too.

Ginny
Thanks for the advice Ginny i'll try this wet mash stuff the chooks might get to like me after all :D .

Post subject: Re: Wet Mash
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:13 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I am new to the forum and have found this thread so helpful! Now I know I can use there layer pellets as a base for wet mash, I feel more confident feeding it to them. Can you put your ground grit in there or should I supply that separate?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:41 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Hi bypass and welcome to byp!
I usually keep grit separate from the mash.
You can add whatever you like to the mash, veges,eggs etc but feed in the evenings when weather is hot as they can get too warm if there are lots of grains and corn in it
My girls love red hen layer made into a warm mash

What sort of chooks do you have?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:21 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

redjohanna wrote:
Hi bypass and welcome to byp!
I usually keep grit separate from the mash.
You can add whatever you like to the mash, veges,eggs etc but feed in the evenings when weather is hot as they can get too warm if there are lots of grains and corn in it
My girls love red hen layer made into a warm mash

What sort of chooks do you have?

I have three young Iza Browns, everyone tried to tell me not to get Iza's but I like them.. I took your advice and gave the grit separate, I was surprised how quickly they hoed into it.
Wendy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:29 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

That way they will eat what they need and then leave the grits
Any eggs yet?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:01 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi Bypass,
There is nothing wrong with an Isa, they are friendly ( to humans ) relatively small fowl so they don't eat a lot and they lay extremely well.
The downside is, they don't accept others added to the flock that well and they only lay well for a couple of years.

But if you like them, thats what counts. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:49 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

redjohanna wrote:
That way they will eat what they need and then leave the grits
Any eggs yet?

My girls were point of lay when I got them, Of the trio, one was laying before she came to us, in fact she laid an egg in the carrier on the way home, we had three eggs Christmas Day, I guess everyone laid an egg. I have had two eggs since that have had no shell, hence the addition of the calcium grit. I have read that when they are just starting to lay it takes awhile to get everything working at once.
As much as I want to, I'm not in a position to add any more birds to my flock. When I can have more I would love some Australorps and or Rhode Island Reds.
Wendy.B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:49 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks so much everyone for your contributions on a wet mash. It's mid winter in Daylesford and I've just had so much pleasure making up a mash and feeding it warm and watching them polish it off in minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:12 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

They do, don't they? I put mostly pellets in mine with any left over scraps or a handful of mince and wet it all and leave it to sit till the water is all absorbed. Easy!

NellyG